Autumn is most certainly here, with its beautiful colours but chilly mornings! Have you thought about underfloor heating? It is a wonderfully welcoming addition to a bathroom, especially on a cold morning. Our team of expert fitters are able to fit your room with the matting system of underfloor heating, installing the WiFi thermostats too. Most of our floors are compatible with underfloor heating systems. Have a look at our mini gallery of bathroom flooring ideas and our top tips for bathroom design, including what’s on trend.
Images: courtesy of Karndean
Top Tips for Bathroom Design
- Decide on your priorities: is this a family bathroom or a spa-style sanctuary? Your needs will determine your layout, as well as your sanitary ware and even colour scheme! For a family bathroom, maximise space and think about storage – you’ll need a home for toothbrushes and bath toys, hanging room for enough towels and so on. If you are looking to create a more sophisticated, spa style space then consider a warm neutral colour palette with texture: natural stone wall tiles, taps and shower accessories in unusual finishes – rose gold and brushed bronze remain popular.
- Think about the layout: consider where the current sanitary ware is and the cost implications of moving pipes. Smaller bathrooms can benefit from wall-hung furniture, as the floor space underneath gives an illusion of space in the room. Will you need a large heated radiator for towels? Is there a good ‘flow’ around the bathroom – can you walk freely around? Be realistic and don’t overfill a space. If there really isn’t much room for a separate shower then accept it and put a shower over the bath. And if it is doable, avoid placing the loo opposite the door – it’s not the nicest sight when walking into a bathroom!
- Have a budget and stick to it! It’s easy to get carried away with all those lovely cosmetics jars, wicker baskets and candles, let alone fancy taps and jacuzzi baths!
- Think about lighting: this will again depend on the demands of the room – family bathroom needs light and bright! But for a cocooning sanctuary think about dimmable lighting, accent wall lights and soft candlelight. Always consult your electrician on lighting for bathrooms.
- Think carefully about your flooring: if you are not ready for a complete re-fit, an economical way to spruce up your existing bathroom is a new floor and a lick of paint! Consider underfloor heating, to give a luxurious feel at an affordable price. There are some beautifully patterned floors now that will sit in a light bathroom with light paint on the walls. Or bring nature in and have a warm wood-style floor.